tlc: podcasts

Readers of my blog may have noticed that in internet land I often go by the name Thursday Next. Occasionally that name has been taken by another Jasper Fforde fan, so in some places I'm also known as next.thursday (or some variation thereof). Obviously, not every Thursday you meet on the net is me, but it still seemed odd to search for story times at podcast.net (looking for public libraries posting songs and storytime sessions on the Internet) and stumble across a podcast posted by a Next Thursday that is, uhm... not quite work appropriate. "Hmm," I say to myself, "that's not the kind of bedtime story I'm looking for. I'll try a yahoo podcast search instead." This time I don't even have a chance to type in search words -- 5 of the top 20 podcasts in the "most popular" section of the main page are marked "explicit". Two of the top twenty, however, are language assistance podcats (for learning Chinese and ESL learners). This inspired me to search for "learn spanish" and check out a few podcasts that will (hopefully) help me connect and converse with my boyfriend's family. There is certainly a wealth of useful information on the interweb for library patrons, but I'd advise you to use caution when including podcast search engines in your programming.

0 comments:

Newer Post Older Post Home